Thorncombe Village Trust - caring for Thorncombe's environment

Home The Trust News and Events Nature History  Local Walks Links to other sites Site map Contact  Us Parish Council

        


History: Houses




Chard Street Bakery & Forge

Memories of Thorncombe’s  last bakery and  the forge next door.

by Richard Holt


Holway Cottage

Bought for £300 in 1935, how  Holway Cottage  became a much loved rural retreat.

by Raymond Firth


Forde Abbey

Founded in 1141 by the Cistercians, Thorncombe parish grew and prospered under their care until the Abbey’s dissolution by Henry VIII in 1563. It was transformed from a ruin to Italian palazzo during the English civil war, and is now owned by the Roper family. Its gardens and house are open to the public throughout the year.

by June Ede


Gough’s Barton

Dating back to the 17th century, Gough’s Barton, one of Thorncombe’s oldest houses was sensitively restored during the 1970s.

by Peter Moreland


Holditch Court

Who owned and in some cases lived at Holditch Manor between the 11th century and 1714.

by June Ede


The Story of Upperfold House, Saddle Street

Behind the facade of a grand Georgian residence.

by Caryl Bicknell


Sadborow Hall

For nearly 400 years, the Sadborow estate was owned by the Bragge family. Designed by John Johnson, the Hall was rebuilt in 1773. A former servant recalls glamorous dinners and dancing in the new year before death duties resulted in the estate being broken up

by June Ede


Wayside, Fore Street

Wayside’s residents since 1795.

by John Dalziel


Thomas Place and The Terrace

An account of the Ousley family and their long association with Pinneys and the Terrace

By Eve Higgs


Pinneys

The story of Pinney’s Close in the centre of Thorncombe, dating back to the 17th century

By Eve Higgs


Thorncombe Village Trust